Tuesday, December 16, 2008

MY DAD

My dad, James F. Vaughn, passed away suddenly on Saturday, December 6, 2008.

He was a tremendous guy. How much better would this existence be if every kid got to grow up thinking that their father was the greatest guy in the world, and then, at the end, people came by and told them, “Yeah, you were right. He was pretty awesome.” That’s the experience my brother and I had.

We last got to be together in person a few months ago for my brother’s retirement ceremony after 20 years in the U.S. Air Force, but we talked on the phone nearly every day. Despite being slowed by injuries and ailments in the last few years, he never lost his sense of humor, his compassion, or his faith.

I’ll write more in a few days about this, I’m sure, but I want to thank my extended group of friends who been so kind during this time.

In the photo, from the right: Major Scott Vaughn, USAF (Ret.), my dad, my cousin Richard Earl Vaughn III, and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment